Interlibrary Loan Service & uBorrow
What can be borrowed?
- Book chapters
- Journal articles [All requests are evaluated for copyright compliance and may be cancelled.]
- Items currently unavailable from the FGCU Library (checked-out, missing, or on order)
- Media (CDs, DVDs, videos, etc.)
- Media items may take longer to arrive.
- Media often have short checkout times.
- Scheduling for classroom use is unreliable.
Some items are difficult to borrow, these include:
New books (current best-sellers), rare books, reference materials, computer programs, and media materials. Foreign theses and dissertations and genealogical materials.
Who can borrow?
Current FGCU faculty, staff and students. All others may submit requests through their local public libraries.
Distance Leaners: FGCU owned materials will be checked-out to the user’s library account and forwarded to them through regular mail. Articles are usually sent to the requestor electronically for download from their FGCU ILLiad account.
Distance learning faculty and students of other Florida state universities and community colleges may be eligible for interlibrary loan services at FGCU under certain circumstances, guided by an agreement between FGCU and the user’s home institution.
How long does it take?
Most requests are filled within 7-10 days. Often, the item is received in much less time, but this can never be predicted.
Indicate your “needed by” date on the request form and the interlibrary loan staff will try to get the material before that date. If no date is indicated, the request will remain active until all possible sources are exhausted, or until the end of the semester, at which time the request will be cancelled.
How many items can I request?
Although there are no limits on the number of requests one user may submit, the Interlibrary Loan Office may stagger the sending of multiple requests from a single borrower.
Graduate research assistants, or others, acting as proxies for a faculty member, may check out and pick up interlibrary loan materials for their Sponsors, if a Proxy Authorization Form is on file with the Circulation Desk. This form, which is signed by the professor, authorizes the proxy to conduct library transactions on behalf of the Sponsor. The proxy and sponsor must be FGCU affiliates.
Before you submit a request
Create an ILLiad Interlibrary Loan account.
Due Dates, Loan Periods, Late Fees
The loan period for borrowed materials varies and is controlled by the supplier. Due dates are clearly marked on each borrowed item. Renewals must be requested before the due date of the current loan. Renewals are not automatically granted by the lender. Restrictions on the borrowed material will be indicated on a printed label attached to the item.
Notification, Pick-up, Delivery, and Return
Borrowers are notified via e-mail when material is received. Interlibrary loan materials may be picked up at the Library Circulation Desk. Articles are delivered electronically and can be downloaded from your FGCU ILLiad account.
Each ILL item will have a band with important information for you and the library staff. Please do not remove this band from the material.
Return all ILL items to the Circulation Desk.
The Library's Copyright Compliance Policy.
UBorrow is an interlibrary loan system between the State University & College Libraries.
- Use the State Catalog to look up a book(s)
- To see if an item is available, select "Show All Locations" and look to see if there are copies whose status is "Available"
- If the title you want is available, click the "UBorrow" button under that item and select your pick up location on the next page
- If a title is unavailable, you will be taken to the ILLiad system where you can request the book through Interlibrary Loan
- Do not try to select a certain library: the system will choose a library for you
- Active requests can be viewed through your Library Account, and once an item arrives, you will receive an email notification