1. Enable reading lists in your Canvas course.
2. Create a new list or access an existing list.
3. Add items to your reading list.
4. Publish your reading list.
To access and use Reading Lists in your Canvas Courses, you'll need to enable Reading Lists in each course in which you want to display a reading list. You have two options for adding reading lists to Canvas:
1. Log in to Canvas and navigate the course where you would like to use reading list.
2. Select Settings at the bottom of the left sidebar.
3. Select Navigation
4. Scroll all the way down to the end of the list of navigation elements. Find Reading Lists and enable. Make sure to click save after you enable. Scroll down if you do not see the Save button.
Now you will see "Reading Lists" show up in the side navigation for your course.
If you enable reading lists in Canvas and there no reading list associated with your course already you will see a screen like this:
When you click "Create It" you will be taken through the steps to create a new list associated with this course. You'll give the list a name andd a description if desired. You will be able to select from a list of templates with pre-built sections for organization (which you can change later). And then you will be able to start adding items to your list.
If a reading lists already exists for your course because the library has added course reserves or textbooks owned by the library, the list will appear in Canvas if you enable it. After you add the reading list element to the course navigation and click on it, the list will automatically appear. Make sure the list is published if you want students to be able to see it. You can continue to add items to this list however you would like using the blue button with the plus sign (.
1. You can search for library materials in Leganto to add to your reading list sections.
2. Click the blue Add Items + button to gain access to this feature.
3. To the right of your section, select Library Search to search within the libraries collection, Blank form to add unique items such as book chapters or online materials (OER, youtube videos, etc), Collection for materials that you have curated in the Reading list platform, or to upload a file from your desktop.
1. Create a new section
2. Title section, for example, Week 1 Readings
3. Provide a description for section
4. (Optional) Decide when to make readings available by calendar
5. (Optional) Import your references from a RIS (Refworks), Bibtext, References, or Folder (see instructions to import references)
6. Create your section
When you're ready for students to view the reading list, click Publish on the top menu or from the ellipsis menu in the upper left-hand corner of the site.
Borrow & Request
(239) 590-7600 | Library Webmaster